Monday, February 15, 2010

Here's to All Things Natural

Hello, as I promised, here is a little something I did with my hair. Saturday night I washed and conditioned my hair. Since I have some color still left in my hair, I use Keracare for color/chemically treated hair. Though I'm mostly natural, it's still important to take care of the portions of your hair that may still be chemically treated whether you are completely natural or not. Keracare does the job for me. I usually deep condition by saturating my hair with the Keracare conditioner, then putting a plastic cap over it. I then proceed to sit under my hair dryer for 15-30 minutes, however long I care to sit there. (BUT WORD TO THE WISE, the longer you let the conditioner sit, the easier it is to detangle your hair, AND it's softer). As I wash the conditioner out I comb through it to detangle it so it wont be so hard to do so before I style it. I towel dry it lightly since I plan to twist it, I dont want it completely dried out.


I havent completely mastered what products I will use for twisting but right now i'm doing some trial and error. I have a spray bottle of which I put luke warm water, olive oil, leave in conditioner, and a small bit of wrap lotion for hold(of which I do not think I will put in there next time). I shook the bottle up and sprayed my entire head. I did not put any gels in my hair for twisting. I put my hair into 10 flat twists going straight back and put rollers on the ends. I'm trying not to put any heat into my hair until graduation, so I let it air dry over night.





The longer you keep your twists in the more defined your curl pattern will be when you take your hair out. I left my twists in all of Sunday and took them out this morning. I took the rollers out and put my hair into a low bun securing with bobby pins.



Taking them out, I simply oiled my scalp and the twists (I oiled each of them individually as I took them out, mostly because I think the wrap lotion made it a little stiffer then I'd like it, but it did loosen up throughout the day). I left the front part of my twists in so that I can maintain the style longer, I can take that part out later and still have somewhat of a fresher look.




As you can see in the picture below, part of my hair looks as though it lacks a deep curl pattern. With flat twists the pattern sometimes gets lost towards the middle of the head. Therefore the next time I do a twist out I will probably part my hair from ear to ear, twist 10 in the front, and maybe 5 in the back so that the back has a pretty defined curl to it as well.



To go to bed and maintain the curls, I took my hair and pinned it away from the side of my head and face, somewhat like a high ponytail, except with no ponytail holder. I then put a scarf around the the front to maintain the twists that are still there. Hope this is useful to someone.



God Bless

Caoimhe

4 comments:

  1. VERY NICE! I LOVE IT!
    Zea

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so helpful because I'm going natural right now. THanks girlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, I will be putting more stuff up, so just check back in for new things! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Zea, this is very nice. I LOVE IT TOO! Auntie

    ReplyDelete